Thursday, September 27, 2012

Paths that Cross

This afternoon I met a client of mine after she got off work.  We were meeting to discuss our new Transitional Housing program.  You see this client, my friend, Raye, is homeless.  But today wasn't just any day today is her birthday.  So we celebrated...we enjoyed an early dinner, conversation, another friend stopped by to wish her a happy birthday too.  We all enjoyed a good laugh.  But, the best part was when we all took the time to share how thankful we are that God has allowed our paths to cross.

 Raye shared how she is so thankful she knows that God was always with her but allowed the decisions she made so she could see Him in her life now, and know that he is leading each day of her life.  He led her to me, which led her to the other friend, Sally, who joined us too.
I marvel all the time not at my journey but how on my journey I have been blessed and fortunate to cross paths with so many different people.  People who are not in most folks "typical" surroundings, which leads to my next thought.

This past week as I drove, walked, or rode in my community I prayed to intentionally see something different in my surroundings.  Here are some of my observations;
 a 20-something couple sharing a brief hug and kiss on the corner,
 the man at the war memorial who bowed his head and stood at parade rest,
 the senior walking her dog,
 the young man with his pants barely covering his behind,
 the three 30-40 something guys sharing coffee, conversation and laughter at the table next to me,
 people talking to strangers - offering a hug, prayer, food, conversation,
my dog so happy as I picked him up from the kennel,
an artist,
an overwhelming burden as the homeless walked into the library on Wednesday morning
....ironically as I type the stereo is playing the melody of "these are a few of my favorite things".

Paths that cross...strangers become friends...friends for a season, friends for a lifetime...so many are unwilling, afraid, have no time, don't take the time to see all the paths they cross each day, each moment.

Take a deep breath, sit a spell - sip some tea, allow your eyes and hearts to be opened to see a new path for the day for the journey.

2 comments:

  1. So grateful HE has allowed our paths to cross!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also grateful He allowed our paths to cross!:)

    ReplyDelete