Monday, August 13, 2012

A Hike in the Rain

For the last several weeks I haven't felt well.  Nothing serious just not feeling my normal self.  Over the weekend I began to feel much better and today I awakened to no pain, lots of energy and an excitement over both.  I text a friend to see if she would like to join me for a mid-morning hike.  She herself wasn't feeling very well so I decided to go anyway. I had no idea it was raining! My destination was Lost River Cave.
I've never taken the time to stop at the Cave and boy have I been missing out.  I can't wait to go back on a day that it is not raining to be able to enjoy all of the aspects of nature there.  Maybe, I will take the boat ride too.
I chose a simple hike of 2.5 miles so I could see the Blue Holes.  I knew from having been to Yellowstone and seeing the Geyser's that the Blue Holes would be water holes from the underground river.  So today I enjoyed three of them.  At first I thought it was a fish that had jumped up but on second look it was the largest frog I've ever seen.  He had the kind of legs my grandpa would have went giggin' for!  And there sound was different from any I'd ever heard before, a higher pitched voice.
There was a small detour to see the Lost River spring.  It was worth the detour.  It reminded me of the water the springs from the side of the mountain in Pocahontas County, WV.  So clear it doesn't even show up in the pictures I took.  Running as a small waterfall down the knoll of rocks to the underground river.
I will journey back there...for it is a quiet place to sit, put your toes in the water and just enjoy a small part of God's creation.

I look forward to another hike even if it's in the rain. The raindrops falling through the leaves kissing the wildflowers that grow in the deep woods were a gentle reminder...I'm never alone.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! I wish I could have joined you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it! Take me with you next time. I have never walked around there.

    ReplyDelete